(617) 361-5310

Motor Vehicle Accidents

Motor Vehicle Accidents

Boston Car Accident Attorney, Hyde Park Car Accident Lawyer

What to do if You are Involved in a Car Accident

Driving around the Boston area can be a dangerous activity. Often, being a pedestrian or bicyclist on the streets of Boston and elsewhere in Massachusetts can be even more dangerous.  Most likely, eventually you will be involved in some type of road accident. If you are in a traffic accident, there are certain thigs you need to do to protect yourself.

The first things you should do after a traffic accident are exchange information (name, address, vehicle registration, insurance company information) with the driver(s) involved in the accident, take pictures of the vehicles and location of the accident, and contact the police.

If you are injured in the accident, you should also seek immediate medical attention. You should also contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can assist you in making sure that your medical bills are paid and that you are fully compensation for your losses and pain and suffering that occurred because of the accident.

Do You Have a Personal Injury Claim Resulting From a Car Accident?

As is the case with other personal injury cases, if you are injured in an accident while operating a motor vehicle you can be entitled to receive compensation for your injuries if the other driver was more at fault for the accident than you were. Similarly, if you were a pedestrian or bicyclist and were struck by a car (or truck, bus, taxi or motorcycle), you would need to show that the operator of that vehicle was more at fault at causing the accident than you were. If you were only a passenger at the time of the accident, you would clearly have no responsibility for causing the accident and would have a claim against however many operators were at fault.

There is another requirement (referred to as the tort threshold) that needs to be met in order to be compensated for your injuries resulting from a car accident. You would additionally need to prove that one of the following happened to you due to the accident:

  • You incurred $2,000.00 or more in reasonable and necessary medical treatment;
  • You sustained a broken bone;
  • You received permanent disfigurement or scarring; or
  • You suffered a permanent loss of a body function.

With over thirty years of experience handling car accident claims, Attorney Richard C. Hyman has represented hundreds of clients injured in car crashes. Make sure that you are fully compensated for your injuries. Call the personal injury Hyde Park Law Office of Richard C. Hyman at 617-361-5310.

Understanding the Automobile Insurance Policy

Every owner of an automobile in Massachusetts is required by law to have insurance coverage on that automobile, with certain minimal coverage requirements. The amount of coverage both on the vehicle you are in at the time of the accident and of the other vehicle involved in the accident will to some extent the limits of what you can recover for the injuries received in an accident.

The Personal Injury Protection (No-Fault Insurance) benefits of the car that you were occupying (either as a driver or passenger) will pay for your medical expenses, no matter who was at fault for the accident. If you were a passenger or bicyclist, then the PIP benefits of the car that hit you would be responsible for paying your medical expenses.

Claims for compensation for pain and suffering and losses resulting from the accident are made under the bodily injury coverage of the vehicle or vehicles whose operator(s) are responsible for the accident. If the amount of coverage of the automobile insurance policy is not sufficient to adequately compensate you for your injuries, you may have the right to pursue an additional claim under the underinsurance coverage section of your automobile insurance policy (or, in some cases, of a household automobile insurance policy), but only if the underinsurance coverage amount exceeds the amount of the bodily injury coverage.

To ensure that your medical expenses are paid and that you are fully compensated following a car accident, it is wise to have an attorney by your side advocating on your behalf.  Between his years of experience handling all types of personal injury cases, along with his continuing dedication to helping his clients, you can trust that attorney Richard C. Hyman will be there for you every step of the way.

Contact a Personal Injury Attorney for a free consultation

For more information or to schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced car accident lawyer, please contact Richard C. Hyman today for a free consultation.

The Law Office of Richard C. Hyman handles all personal injury cases on a contingency basis, so you will not pay any attorney’s fee unless you recover money on your case.

Areas We Serve:  The Law Office of Richard C. Hyman serves clients throughout Massachusetts, including Hyde Park, Boston, Canton, Dedham, Dorchester Jamaica Plain, Mattapan, Milton, Norwood, Roslindale, Roxbury, Walpole, West Roxbury, Norfolk County, Middlesex County, Plymouth County, Suffolk County.